On Thursday July 10 2003 09:19 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> Is it just me, or does 205 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit seem a bit
> excessive for the maximum temperature of a desktop? Yikes! I'm
> nervous enough about the operating temperature of 122 to 158
> degrees Fahrenheit.

> >      The AMD docs I read said 90 to 95C internal core is the
> > failure limit. They also said to add 10 to 20C to reported
> > probe (thermistor) cpu temps, to approximate the internal core
> > temp.

    No, I agree. 230F = 110C is a temp I've never seen in AMD docs.
Even 203F = 95C seems unbelieveable.  But that is the max temp AMD
specs for processor failure. I think they mean permanently fried ;)
IMO, AMD's should be kept under 60C core (< 50C from a probe) at
extreme load, or you're gonna see heat related problems. Lettin 'em
run hot causes a gradual degradation of the core.

    I only wonder why recently AMD began internal diode temp sensing
for the core. Something even the first Pentiums have had all along,
including good motherboard support for it. From what I've read, the
few recent AMD boards that can read the new AMD diode, don't do it
very well. I believe that's why Intels are the preferred cpu's for
servers.