If you just want a quick-n-dirty stateful inspection engine to keep the
script kiddies out, any firewall package with reasonable defaults will
do the job. There are about twenty packages on
http://www.distrowatch.com aiming to provide just that, including
Mandrake's own MNF. If you want a platform you can learn from or build
on, I would suggest a third choice: http://leaf.sourceforge.net, grab a
Bering ISO and load that up.

Security is a process not a product. "My organization is small and
therefore unnoticed on the Internet" is no excuse for shoddy security.
There are a million reasons why, but in the interests of time I'll just
provide one:

you may not be protecting data that is of much interest to anyone except
your students and their parents: but you still represent a pool of
computing resources with a network connection. The bad guys who don't
care about your data will be much more interested in using your
resources as a spam blaster or a launching pad for attacks against other
sites. Having decent security on the Internet is not like putting a lock
on your house, it's more like putting locks on your car.

Jack

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...