On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 13:40, Bill Mullen wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Dan Jones wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to mount an NTFS partition and make it readable by non-root.
> > Regardless of how I mount it, however, it ends up with permissions of
> > 600.  I can read it as root but not as a regular user.  The following is
> > an edited copy of the command line which shows what's happening:
>
> Actually, they're getting set to 500 at present ... ;)

Who put the 5 and 6 so close together on the keyboard?

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] mnt]$ cat /etc/fstab
> > /dev/hdc1 /mnt/hd ntfs user,ro,noauto,noexec 0 0
>
> Change this fstab line to:
>
> /dev/hdc1 /mnt/hd ntfs user,ro,noauto,noexec,umask=222 0 0

Well, making progress anyway:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mnt]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hd ntfs user,ro,noauto,noexec,umask=222 0 0

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mnt]$ mount /mnt/hd

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mnt]$ cd hd

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hd]$ ls
ls: .: Permission denied

> All permissions are set at mount time, and cannot be altered while the
> partition is mounted, for all Win32 filesystem types.

I've mounted Win32 types before and never run into this.  I could also
swear that I've changed file permissions on fat32 systems.

Man says the default umask is the mask of the current process.  How do
you determine the mask of the current process?