On Friday 25 July 2003 10:59 am, Ken Thompson wrote:
> Howdy folks,
> I installed the 4349 nVIDIA drivers yesterday and poof, no X. The Xserver
> just cycled through opening to a background to console and back. After it
> finally gave up there was a message about not being able to load
> glx.something-or-other.o
> Any clues as to why?? I installed it just fine in 9.0. This 9.1 is a
> standard install with updated through mandrake-update.

I've got the 4349 drivers working fine here with v9.1 and an Nvidia Geforce
Ti4200.

You'll probably need to post the -exact- text from the error message so we can
see what is happening.

Did you do all the usual? I mean, after installation, setting the nvidia stuff
in XF86Config-4, modules, and modules.conf. Did you also do a "depmod -a"
after all that?

Here are my files (only showing relevant Nvidia stuff though):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
nvidia

[EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-195 NVdriver

[EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"