On Friday 25 July 2003 10:38 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2003 10:59 am, Ken Thompson wrote:
> > Howdy folks,
> > I installed the 4349 nVIDIA drivers yesterday and poof, no X. The Xserver
> > just cycled through opening to a background to console and back. After it
> > finally gave up there was a message about not being able to load
> > glx.something-or-other.o
> > Any clues as to why?? I installed it just fine in 9.0. This 9.1 is a
> > standard install with updated through mandrake-update.
>
> I've got the 4349 drivers working fine here with v9.1 and an Nvidia Geforce
> Ti4200.
>
> You'll probably need to post the -exact- text from the error message so we
> can see what is happening.
>
> Did you do all the usual? I mean, after installation, setting the nvidia
> stuff in XF86Config-4, modules, and modules.conf. Did you also do a "depmod
> -a" after all that?
>
> Here are my files (only showing relevant Nvidia stuff though):
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
> nvidia
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias char-major-195 NVdriver
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] X11]$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> Section "Module"
>     Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
>     Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
>     Load "extmod"
>     Load "type1"
>     Load "freetype"
>     Load "glx" # 3D layer
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "NV AGP"
>     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce (fbdev)"
>     Driver "nvidia"
>     BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen AGP"
>     Device "NV AGP"
>     Monitor "monitor1"
>     DefaultColorDepth 16
>
> Hope this helps ya!

I'll go back through it again later this afternoon and make sure.. I did look
over the XF86Config-4 and it looked OK except for replacing nv with nvidia,
which I did.. I didn't look at modules.conf as there was no need the last
time I installed these drivers.. The sh script name is 4349 but I'm sure it
was 4363 that came up when I was installing..
Like I said, I'll give it another go later today and then post the result of
my trials..

--
Ken Thompson - WA7SYR