On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 05:11, Pierre Fortin wrote:

> > Well, I rebooted the server, and it was able to move the 650 Mb without
> > choking, but with almost constant errors. I will burn out my orange LED
> > on the hub soon if this keeps up.
>
> > And there don't appear to be any kernel messages about this.
> >
> > Rob
>
> This sounds exactly as you describe...  collisions!  They are due to a
> number of reasons; but some things to check:
>
> 1. Bypass the hub with a direct (rolled) cable.  If this works (check
> collisions in ifconfig), then replace your hub with a switch which doesn't
> suffer from the following...  Note: some "hubs" are really switches...  A
> real hub is a cheap buffered repeater -- the buffer is rather small (acts
> like an "elastic buffer"); it "snaps" when a sending NIC's crystal is out
> of specs -- the snap results in the hub sending a "jam" (collision) back
> to the sending NIC.  Bypassing the hub eliminates the hub's elastic
> buffer.  I'm surprised you're able to send that much data if this is the
> problem though...
>
> 2. Near end collisions:  are your cables direct, or running through
> hookups around the house?  Poor connections and not enough twists in the
> pairs or poor cable at the sending end can result in near-end collisions
> due to crosstalk from sending signal back into sender's receiver circuitry
> -- hearing itself.
>
> 3. If your NIC is an Intel eepro10, consider trying something else...  I
> had this very problem when transferring large files...  interestingly, the
> apparently random failures were at exactly the same point on any specific
> file.
>
> 4. If you're using coax, you may have termination problems (no need to
> discuss now unless you have coax).
>
> This is a start; but the problem is most likely hardware...  although,
> until it's found *and* fixed, never say: "It can't be <foo>..."  :>

Pierre,
   I'd say you probably are right on the money here.  I've got or rather
had (they were sold for scrap) some 24 port cardinal hubs that where
guaranteed to give you collisions like mad.  Not when used alone, but
when used with each other look out.  I only install switches now.  Much
safer.

James