030730 Olaf Marzocchi wrote:
> At 19.31 21/07/2003, you wrote:
>> i have no problem running the mobo at FSB 133 , but at FSB 166
>> -- which the mobo is advertised to support -- it's not at all reliable.
>> first, it doesn't recognise the CPU in its default setting,
>> but thinks it's a 1900+ running at 1467 MHz ; more seriously,
>> if i try manually setting the FSB to 166 with appropriate other settings,
>> it boots ok 1 - 3 times, then fails to talk to the AGP card:
>> there's long-short-short beep signalling this, then Linux boots invisibly,
>> as i can see & hear from the HDD activity & fr using Ctl-Alt-Del to reset.
> Try to check in the manual what that signal means, then ask for replacement

the manual says it means what i say it signals just above (puzzled look).

> Have you tried to lower the AGP speed to 4x?
> I once saw a mobo where you could force the agp to run at 2x instead of 4x.
> You won't notice any performace hit, agp 8x only gives troubles.

nocando with this mobo,
but i tried another card which is 4x & the problem disappeared.
it's almost impossible to find a new 4x card here anyway
& the difference seems to be in the chip ( MX440 a/a MX400 ).

> Probably it depends on the video card, the mobo could be fine.

no, it's the mobo, which is currently at the makers being examined.
the problem is the combination of mobo + Barton CPU + MX440 graphics card.
i swapped a couple of e-mails with Soyo tech support
& their final advice was "send it in for testing".
Greg Meyer has been very helpful & pointed out  2  newsgroup reports
of similar problems,  1  of which had been solved by attention from Soyo.
i'll report the result when i get the mobo back next week or so.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]