Hello,

I am on a small internal LAN which does not use a Domain name or even
have a DNS server, well, except for the router in a way I suppose.

Anyway, I want to try to use my mailserver, simply called "localhost",
to send mail out rather than my ISP's smtp server. Mainly a learning
exercise, you know, start small and all that.

I have used sendmail in the past and run into several problems wherein
receiving domains see me as an "open relay" and bounce the mail back to
me as potential spam.

I a looking at the postfix docs right now, and I am confused about a few
things.

In my mail client, I choose sendmail for sending mail, but how does this
relate to Postfix? Does Postfix simply receive all commands from
sendmail and process them?

If so, how to I configure Postfix (I am assuming this is in
/etc/postfix/main.cf) to let receivers know I am not an open relay and
they have nothing to fear from me. I read in the docs that by default
Postfix will not relay mail by default, so I rest easy that I am *not*
an open relay, correct?

Anyhow, thanks for any assistance!

--
Joehill