Anne Wilson grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Friday 01 Aug 2003 5:49 pm, Felix Miata wrote:
> >
> > This is the old fashioned way, something I learned in 1973.
>
> Hmmm - I suppose the 'd' stood for something?

Nope.  Control-D is simply used as an end-of-file indicator.  If you EOF a
*lot* of different program inputs, it will end that program (or at least,
end it from looking for further input :).  In the case of a shell prompt,
it's *only* looking for input from you, so if you EOF it, it assums that
you're done and closes.

              --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!