on installing the latest kernel n my laptop, there were various errors
pertaining to lines in the rpm database

No problema, just remove the __db* files, the rpmrebuild<pid> number and
rebuild again, thought I ...

now the whole thing segfaults

OK, go to rpm.org,

http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

and follow the more advanced rebuild process near the end (first install
db4-utils, though)

now the final instruction reads (in part) as follows: (with comments in
brackets)
====================
Verify integrity with

cd /var/lib/rpm db_verify Packages
(command ran successfully - errors found)

If there are any errors, repair by doing

mv Packages Packages-ORIG
(yup!)

/usr/lib/rpm/db_dump Packages-ORIG |
 \ /usr/lib/rpm/db_load Packages

(now, I donīt get the command here)

What is the final command above?
Why the \ just after the pipe?

Any hints here?

cheers from a very sad-looking laptop (with all my invoicing waiting on it!)
--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.1, Kernel version: 2.4.21-0.25mdk