From: "Lyvim Xaphir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Anne Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [expert] OT: router reboots

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:10, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 18 Aug 2003 9:03 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 07:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > SMC Barricade 7401BRA adsl router
> > >
> > > On average, about once a week I have to reboot my router.  No
> > > apparent reason - just that no Internet connection works any
> > > more.  After a reboot, all is well, both on this box and all
> > > others on the net.  I am not able to find any common denominator
> > > leading up to the problem. Any ideas, anyone?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Does it have firmware that you can update.  I'd check on that
> > first.
> >
> > --LX
>
> Hi, LX.  Franki raised that one, but my reply to him was one of the
> ones that went missing, never appeared on the list.  Here is what I
> said to him:
>
> Hi, Franki.  A little while ago I downloaded the latest flash for the
> router and the installation instructions, which were to flash it from
> within the web page. 'Mine not to reason why'. I thought, and tried
> it.  It didn't work.  I contacted their tech support, who said they
> would email alternative instructions.  They did, and it didn't work.
> It did screw up everything that had been there before, though, so I
> had to go in an reconfigure it.  There was a complication in that I
> couldn't get a connection, which my isp traced to a line fault, which
> BT denied, but a short time after it was working again.  Then I rang
> SMC's tech support again.  This time a guy asked me why I was trying
> to flash it.  He rather rudely said it was pointless - it was not
> necessary with the revision I had got.

You should have told him that it was none of his damn business WHAT you
were doing with your own equipment, and that if you wanted to pee on it
in the shower then that's exactly what you were going to do, and that
the only input you would need from him at that point would be to
recommend the best way to do the most damage.

Their job, quite simply, is not to question what you are doing but
rather to tell you how to do it.  Many times a phone jock will tell you
something either because they have read entirely too much BOFH lit or
because they don't want to bother with the call cause they've got a
personal call they'd rather be on.

The first thing to do before you pick up the phone for tech support is
to realize *what their job is*.  Because 90% of the time, THEY DONT.
They are not the equipment police of your house, their job is to tell
you how to flash their shite equipment.  Any other words out of their
mouth are extra and not needed.

Any chance for them to be arrogant and assume ignorance on your part is
usually a chance they will take.  In the past, in such situations, I
have thrown out some ignorance bait and then fed the rope out quite a
bit.  Then at the appropriate time, I yank on the rope, pull them back
in, and do maximum damage.  I do what I can to discourage this type of
behavior.

> Between that experience and the fact that it is impossible to release
> a range of ports for a session (ideally I would like it to be
> software triggered, but I'll do it manually if necessary) I feel that
> when I replace it, it will not be with an SMC product.
>
> If I may, I will also copy in my replies to Ronald and Miark, which
> also went missing.

-------snip, I agree with Ronald that this is not a dhcp thing---------

I'll be honest, the first thing that occurred to me when you described
your problem was that a security hole was being taken advantage of with
your router.  Most of the time when a firmware release is given on a
router, it's to address a security hole problem.  This reboot problem
sounded to me as if you were being scanned periodically and the scan was
locking your router up.  This is why I recommended a firmware flash, so
that you could begin analyzing the problem from a fresh and more secure
perspective.  Of course now we have phone jock assholes standing in our
way of that.

The objective is to get the router flashed with the latest firmware
revision, and then reexamine the problem to see if you have any further
lockups.  If lockups still are happening after you bring the router up
to the latest firmware release, then it's an equipment problem and the
router needs to be replaced under warranty.

Also...flashing is something you only have to do once.  After you flash
it one time, the firmware is in there and you don't need to do anything
else except start watching it's behavior for anomalies again. (unless
another firmware revision is released.)

LX

--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk

----