On Thursday 21 August 2003 07:46 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My box runs 24/7, but I have to log out and in again fairly
> frequently.  The reason for this is that I get a really bad sound
> corruption that seems to occur when I have been logged in for more
> than 24 hours (but not a regular pattern, I think).
>
> (Now you may say that I should not be logged in, but I do like to pick
> up all my mail first thing in the morning, so I leave it collecting
> from time to time over the night.)

I have fetchmail running to collect mail, at least to the spool but it runs in
daemon mode, so I don't need to be logged in for this occur.  Might not be
what you want but I don't see a connection between the sound problems and
being logged in short of regular noise being pumped through the system due to
a desktop being up.

I assume that you have a GUI up all the time, not just logged into the
console...

> The sound corruption that I'm experiencing comes with system sounds
> (never tried a cd or mp3 while the corruption is there), and every
> sound is accompanied by something like a clearing of the throat, but
> at high volume - best description I can find.  If I log out and in
> again the problem disappears.

I have noticed weird catches in my sound as well, at odd times, but mostly
after doing things with multiple sounds being pumped through Arts.  I have
always though it was some type of issue with the fairly new sound hardware on
my motherboard.  Figured that better drivers would come out in the next
version or so.

> Can anyone suggest a likely cause?

Perhaps heat from the active system?  Is the case cooled well?  Did this just
start to happen or has it been an ongoing thing?

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer