Anne,

If you're using serial cable, better.  I wasn't able to setup a apc ups
with usb cable.  If you allow me, despite not knowing to identify your
cable type, use apcupsd version 3.8 (not 3.10 that come with MDK 9.1).
The former version is quite less complicate to setup and so you can try by
chance in the apcupsd config file to find out which cable you have.

Other suggestion is to get apcupsd source code from apcupsd.org.  There
you'll get apctest.  And then you may play out with apcupsd 3.10.

Sorry if I couldn't help more.

--
Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva