On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 03:44, Damian Gatabria wrote:
> El mié, 20-08-2003 a las 16:55, Bryan Phinney escribió:
> > On Wednesday 20 August 2003 10:24 am, Lawson, Jim wrote:
> > > Okay So I just read an article that said mandrake 9.1 can reset any windoz
> > > password. Can any linux distro password for root or any other user be
> > > reset. Say if you forgot it?
> > >
> > > James S. Lawson
> > > Network Administrator
> >
> > The only way that I know of to do this is to bring the computer up in Single
> > User mode and reset root password from there.  You should be able to do that
> > by putting options in Lilo at boot to bring up Linux in single user mode.
> >
> > If you have password protected Lilo, I am not sure that you can reset the root
> > password without some type of reinstall.
>

> How do you password protec Lilo? :o))))))))))

you put a password in /etc/lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.

Users must then enter the password in order to boot any kernels listed
by lilo. It isn't used all that much to my knowledge -- laptop users
generally use the BIOS password, desktops users generally don't use boot
passwords, and servers need to be able to reboot without physical help.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...