El dom, 31-08-2003 a las 08:47, KevinO escribió:

> Damian Gatabria wrote:

OK, so far, both James and you have said something about "password
protecting single user mode" or "setting it up somehow"... so
let's go back to my first question in this thread =)
How can i do that? I just want the system to ask for a password
ONLY when i tell it i want `linux single`.

> Breaking into a Linux box w/o single (or init=...) is much harder than
> cracking open an NT, 2000 or XP box.

What i meant with my previous post is that it took me 30 seconds to
learn how to change a root password in mandrake Linux, and for Windoze i
had to surf the net for about 10 minutes to find boot diskettes that,
from reading the manual they include, i can see it's at least a two or
three steps longer process, warnings reading "Beware! the ntfs driver is
not perfect, you can break your system!" and "Warning! you may loose
all of the system's user passwords with this!" and stuff like that.

> But once you open a box or boot a different kernel or OS on a box, all bets
> are off. The only way to protect your system (data) is through decent encyption.

agreed.

Damian