David Guntner wrote:
Jack Coates grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 13:51, David Guntner wrote:

I'm setting up some iptables rules to block certain kinds of packets on
my ML 9.1 machine.  The man page talks about logging options to have it

log to the syslog, but I can't seem to figure out the exact syntax to
make it work.  No matter how I try, I keep getting a bad option message
in response.  Does anyone know what the actual syntax is on an iptables
command to have it log when that particular reject rule is fired?

--Dave

man iptables /log keep hitting / until you see something helpful.

there is a page full of options.

I already did that, hence the statement that "the man page talks about
logging options." :-)  Problem is, there are no practical *examples* of
the syntax to use, and my reading of the section on logging didn't yield
anything I could use.  Hence my request here for an example syntax to use.

You've already got shorewall on there, it'll be a lot faster and safer
to just use it.

Shorewall would be great if I wanted all kinds of fancy firewalling.  But
I'm behind a DSL router and that takes care of the vast majority of my
needes.  But I need to put three rules into iptables to take care of a
specific need.  The rules are already in place, in fact.  However, I would
like to be able to log traffic that's blocked if I can.  So if you have
some information on what the correct syntax is, I would appreciate an
example - because I can't seem to come up with a syntax that works, going
off of the man page.

--Dave

Dave,

the example that Bill gave "is" the way to do it.

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996