I did install the mouse and it booted up without any problems.  Just shutdown,
unplug old one, plug in new one, power up, notice keyboard isn't working,
shutdown, jiggle keyboard plug, power back up, keyboard works, mouse works.
Mouse works great!  It just has two side buttons(not configured) that can be
accidentally pressed and are annoying.  I guess I just have to get used to
that.  Not worried about the extra buttons right now.  Thanks for the advice.

Jim

--

  2:01pm  up 24 days, 22:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
Running Mandrake 9.0 - Linux - because life is too short for reboots...