On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 20:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 Sep 2003 5:57 pm, Niclas Jacobsson wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I've got problems setting up a samba server for WinME & XPHome
> > clients. Printersharing works like a charm but file/directory (oops
> > sorry for the Win-terminology...) sharing seems difficult to get
> > working. Resources setup with samba show up in explorer at the
> > client but when accessed I get prompted for password (guest
> > account) what is this password, where can I find it? and how do I
> > set this up so that each Windows/client account can access shared
> > resources without being prompted for pswd?? Is there an HOWTO
> > somewhere that explains all this in detail?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Niclas
>
> Every user must have an account on your box, and the username and
> password must match that on the windows box in every detail - it is
> case-sensitive of course.  The fact that it's asking for the guest
> password suggests that you haven't done this.
>
> Webmin may not be installed - it isn't by default, I think - but it's
> worth having.
>
> If you are still having problems after that, paste your /etc/smb/conf
> into a message here.
>
> Anne

I installed a SAMBA server for a client a couple of weeks ago, I have
had untold troubles getting a single XPH client to talk, all the
password files were synced, using smbpasswd, passwd and the user on XP
were all in sync and same case. It worked until I rebooted on one
ocassion! It was really weird! After spending many hours searching web
and other sources I have come to the conclusion that networking in
general is borked in XPhome. I have a suspicion that it is something to
do with WINS resolution, but that is just a hunch as I do not posess a
XP box.

If anyone is using Samba, and XPhome, I would love to see/hear you
tales!

David.

PS: I gave the client a Win2K box with sharing enabled as a local
workaround till I get this sussed.