Felix Miata wrote:

Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

I did read that you were trying to update from within X. I think, more
specifically, you may have meant that you were trying to use the GUI
(Graphical User Interface) to do the update, since, of course, you can
run a command line from X.

I believe that when you run the Mandrake Update (to which I think you
were referring) it only uses the media labeled "updates". If there are
no updates available on that specific source you will get the response
that everything is already installed. This would be a correct response
because all of the updates available on that source are already installed.

If you want to update the machine using all available sources:

-As root run "urpmi.update -a" on the command line to make sure urpmi
knows what is available for updates
-Launch "Install Software" from the menu and select "All packages, by
update availability".

You will then get a list of updates that are available from all of the
different urpmi sources.

Until I understand how to handle a single source, I don't want multiple sources. I have one and only one source for this machine, my rsync mirror of the sunet.se cooker mirror. What I'm actually trying to do is figure out the awful X interface for package management. I used the one cli command urpmi.addmedia as a shortcut, since I couldn't even figure how to get the X interface to do a single useful update thing. How to I use the X interface to make the original source equal to the updates source?

Try this. I don't know if it will work or not. I don't want to screw up my configuration by testing it. I find it is easier to use the command line to add sources, but you're not me...so...here goes:

-KDE Menu =>Configuration => Packaging => Software Sources Manager
-If there is a sources named "updates" click on it and click on "Remove" to remove it (obvious, I know).
-Click on "Add..."
-Click on "Local files"
-Name the source "updates"
-Browse to the local directory with all of the cooker files.
-Click "OK"

That should do it. If it doesn't let me know.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
18:15:00 up 2 days,  5:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.44, 0.43, 0.55

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)