Felix Miata wrote:

Bill Mullen wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

I had actually suggested that earlier (everything except the kernel),
but I believe he wanted a way to do the actual update using a GUI.

I strongly suspect that when the OP did the urpmi.addmedia command to add
his Cooker source, he did not use the "--update" option, which denotes
that source as one that the GUI update tool will consider.

I did what James Sparenberg wrote: urpmi.addmedia cooker-updates file://mnt/mandrake/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz. See my post of Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:47:57 -0400.

AIUI, while "urpmi --auto-select" will draw upon all sources (as will the
regular GUI installer app), the GUI /update/ tool will only look at media
specifically marked as update sources. As these are separate collections
in released distros, only in Cooker is the "main" source also an "update"
source. I could well be wrong, but I think that's what's going on here.

Surely someone must know. Why does the X tool even exist if it can only get the job done for the person who wrote it, if even then? I don't mind using cli at all, but my goal was to figure out the X tool. I've gotten nowhere with that.

This tool is not meant for cooker use. It is meant for keeping a released version up-to-date. It is assumed (possibly incorrectly) that if you are using a cooker version of Mandrake that you are aware of this and know how to keep the machine up-to-date.

Are you new to Linux or Mandrake? If so, you're diving in pretty deep by running a test version of anything Linux. It may be better to run something that is ready for those that are experiencing Linux or Mandrake Linux for the first time. If not, knock yourself out. :-)

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
18:55:01 up 2 days,  6:11,  1 user,  load average: 0.64, 0.48, 0.54

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)