On Fri Sep 12, 2003 at 02:10:58PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:

> > > Data Mining,  Once you log in it sends back to MDK information on the
> > > number of "impressions" seen by this box including install impressions.
> > > Then eventually you tie it into the users web surfing habits so that the
> > > right kind of adds get sold to match the users habits.  (when you do
> > > urpmi updates you get your new "adds" in the mix.)
> >
> > What on God's green earth makes you think MandrakeSoft would ever stoop to
> > something like this?
> >
> > We do have principles you know.
>
> The question was how I could imagine that it would be noticed.  Not a
> suggestion that it would be done.

I would have answered: they have no way of noticing unless they had a public
poll and asked you.

Just mentioning data mining will stir the pot enough that people will start
flipping out and tomorrow we'll see a /. post about how we're data mining as
well as removing all screensavers and replacing them with ads.

/me shudders

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/