James Sparenberg schrieb am Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:32:24 -0700:

>> At the install splash, you might try pressing F1 and booting with
>> linux ide=nodma  This sometimes helps with cd reading problems.
>
>Not to conflict with what Rolf said .... but to answer the hd install
>question.  Chose f1 boot to linux expert and chose a hd install (Last
>time I did this was 8.2) should still work.

All is good but I found out now. To prepare a hd install I started
copying the CDs to the hd and found out that several files (including
the lists on CD1) had problems. The CD drive kept decreasing speed due
to errors. One list wasn't readable at all.

Then I wanted to install some apps to my notebook where the basic
installation went ok. I ran into read errors from the CDs 1 and 2.
That did not show during installation because it did not relate to apps
I installed then.

So far for CDs coming straight from heaven. No, in earnest,
compatibility of burnt CDs on other machines is still an issue after CDs
being on the market for so long now. :(

wobo