Am Samstag, 13. September 2003 22:45 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Saturday 13 Sep 2003 8:35 pm, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 13. September 2003 21:00 schrieb ed tharp:
> > > My opinion...
> > > Forget all the video cards and sound stuff,,, the 128 meg mem
> > > Video card is over kill, and the AC97 6 channel sound should be
> > > fine too.
> >
> > Agree
>
> OK - sound isn't a problem then.  So, video card and capture?  There
> are two issues here - vhs and the current camcorder's analogue
> signal, for which I have been advised to use a Pinnacle DC10+ and
> V4l, and firewire, which I will need next spring when we buy a new
> camcorder.  I have firewire on this box on the Audigy card, but only
> a 900 MHz processor (though 512MB RAM).  I had thought of adding a
> firewire card to the new box when I buy the new camcorder.

A DC10+ is good i think. Ermmh this is a mjpeg card isn't it ? Sorry for
the confusion, i think that is the card that is recommended ny the
mjpegtools guys as well. For firewire, some new boards have that
onboard. I have bought a firewire extension card for this back then i
got my dv camcorder.

> I had planned for 512MB RAM - are you saying that's not really
> enough?

I would say 512 is ok. , f.i. 256 would definitly be to few ram. (my
opinion)

> > > The real bottle neck is going to be hard drive write speed.
> > > during capture that is. my suggestion might be to go with 2
> > > different boxes, since capture is one thing and rendering a full
> > > different set of problems and bottlenecks. capture is just as
> > > fast and accurate as long as the drive keeps up,
> >
> > Do not agree here really. Today you can capture with a midrange
> > recent machine divx in realtime.
> >
> > > and the quality of the capture card and
> > > signal input is more important than video card.
> >
> > Agree absolutly. Depending on the plans how much will be captured
> > with that box, i would even consider to buy a dv-capture card. (not
> > a firewire card, but a card that does the dv-encoding in hardware)
>
> Recommemdations, then?

See above, sorry for the confusion. The DC10 should be perfect. For
exact model i would search trough the mjpeg mailinglist archiv. My
thought was just that you shouldn't really consider using a tv-card or
the like for capturing.

> > >  get all the memory you can stuff on the Mobo (up to around 750,
> > > really no advantage above that unless you can go greater than 2
> > > gigs memory) most folks used to swear you had to have fast wide
> > > scsi2 hard drives at least, but I am sure IDE udma4 or faster,
> > > and as large a hard drive cache as available will help.
> >
> > scsi2 is overkill i would say, the latter you are right again, as
> > much disk-space as possible.
>
> I thought of scsi2, but it's very expensive, so it would have to be
> worth a lot more.  I planned a 7200 120GB disk.  It would have very
> little on apart from the needs of the job.

I have a Samsung 5400 120 Gig with 2MB cache here an plan to buy a
second one in near future. 120 Gig = 50 hours dvb mpeg2, does not know
how much you have to calculate for mjpeg and how fast the hd has to be.
If you plan to make some video dvd i guess you can't get enough. scsi2
i think isn't worth the money here. For a definitly answer i would ask
on mjpegtools mailinglist.

Steffen