On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 16:51, David E. Fox wrote:
> > a 900 MHz processor (though 512MB RAM).  I had thought of adding a
> > firewire card to the new box when I buy the new camcorder.
>
> Mine's an Athlon 1000 with 256k ram, probably not enough hardware for
> video editing. I have tried cinelerra off and on with avi and mpeg
> files I already have (no camcorder).
>
> > I had planned for 512MB RAM - are you saying that's not really enough?
>
> Well, dunno. 256 megs doesnt' seem to be enough. I think 512megs would
> be enough, but you may be better off with SCSI drives. scsi is quite
> expensive though.
No way, the memory of 512 is fine, and adding scsi is not gonna speed
this up. this is a pipe width problem when you start talking about how
long it takes to render (dual CPUs kick ass on this task) but the
capture part, is all how fast a sustained write can be made.
as Far as the software, Cinelerra seems very capable, and linux video
studio seems a good tool to try too.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org