On Saturday September 13 2003 01:46 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I want to build a box whose main purpose would be video capture
> from camcorder and vhs, editing, and burning to either vcd or
> dvd.  All funds available should go into the most essential bits
> for that purpose, so I'd like some opinions, please.
>
> Mobo - I'm torn between Asus A7v8X-X and Soltek SL-KT400-A4C.
> Specs are very similar.  Both have Via KT400/VT8235 chipsets.

    A KT400a chipset would be better. Like steppings with Intel or
AMD cpu's, chipsets are no different. The latest one is usually
always the best. For KT400's that's the A chip.
unknown         : VIA Technologies Inc|VT8377

> Asus has 8x agp and Soltek has 4x agp

    No difference in 8x or 4x other than marketing hype.  Both
vendors, Asus an Soltek make good boards. But you said nothin about
the proposed processor. If price isn't the consideration, I'd lean
toward the Asus.  But make sure to use
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348,00.html
  for expert recommendations for the processor you intend to use.

> Asus has Realtek 6-chanel codec, which I take to mean on-board
> sound, and Soltek has 6-ch AC'97 Audio.  I've always avoided
> on-board audio in the past, disabling it and putting in a card.
> Is that still worth the effort/expense?

    My  last two boards have had AC97 onboard with the VIA
implementations. The latest, an Aopen AK77-400 Max (kt400a
chipset). With both I was surprised at the sound usability and
quality. The Aopen I use now has AC97 5.1, 6 channel Surround Sound
(without the SB Live! problems).
snd-via82xx     : VIA Technologies|VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller]

    Uses alsa very well, aRts, or OSS when called for. No problems
with many sound/video apps I use, even with 9.2 cooker.

> Asus also offers on-board lan.  I think these have been
> troublesome?

   The AK77-400 has onboard a Realtek, uses the standard driver
8139too         : Realtek|RTL-8139 [NETWORK_ETHERNET]

   Probly psychological, but I think it works smoother an faster
than my old D-link PCI card that used the same driver.

> Graphics cards - since I don't do gaming I've not been into the
> latest thing in video cards, so I don't know what is significant
> and what is hype.  I'm looking at 128MB XFX Geforce4 MX44- or
> FX5200.  I could go higher if there's a real advantage.  Any
> thoughts?

   If 3d/accel isn't needed, a cheap GeF2 or ATI card will do just
as well usin the opensource XFree drivers. Another good option
would be older Matrox cards.  You only need the latest'n greatest,
expensive, proprietary (driver/cards) stuff to play 3d games. For
video capture in/out, you'll just havt'a do your own searches, I've
never used it.

> Any comments about anything I haven't mentioned that is
> significant in this scenario?
>
> Anne

    Yeah, the cpu.  I'd imagine you'd want a Barton core XP. The
2500+ thru the 3200+ is all the same core. Payin more for the
higher rating only assures the likelyhood of gettin one that has
better cache (L1 & L2) areas on the die. Otherwise they're all
identical. You pay's your money an takes your chances ;)

   For what you wanna do I reckon a 333FSB 2500+ is your best bet.
In USD, currently starts at $83. You'll need the Barton for it's
larger L2 cache. Don't buy a 2400+. Either get a 2500+ or go for a
3000+.

  Just as important, ram and PSU. The AMD link above has recommends
for power supplies.  For ram you'll need at least PC3200 and to
avoid generic, buy quality (Kingston is OK, Crucial/Micron or
Corsair is the best). Spend the difference to get Cas 2.5 or lower.
Specially if you don't wanna fool with/test fast ram timings in
bios. Ram (and cpu caches) is gonna be a big part of what you want
to use the system for. As will be kernel choice.

     And as always, avoid Windoze reviews, 'don't take just one
person's advice' (you're the one that'll have to live with what you
buy ;)