On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 07:58, Guy Van Sanden wrote:
first off,, since the attributes are sure getting confusing, (obviously)
I did not think I was replying to Guy, but to T.Ribbock.

> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 12:40, ed tharp wrote:
> <snip>
> > > If I pay a subscription fee for those channels, the commercials are not
> > > acceptable.  I do not think I should pay to be forced to watch
> > > commercials.
> > I guess you don't get cable and have never seen discovery channel, cause
> > they sure are a fee-subscription service, and they sure have some
> > commercials.
> >

> I know such channels exist (although not in my country, here the paid
> channels only have commercials for their own broadcasts, and they do not
> interrupt movies/programs form them).
> What I am saying is that I would not pay for such a channel if it
> existed here, while I would be inclined to pay for an ad-free movie
> channel.
In fact and action, I agree,,, I have cable broadband, but not cable TV.
> > > So, if I pay for my boxed Mandrake distro, it should not contain ads.
> > always did before, just adds for Mandrake services not 3rd party
> > services. seems to me RH puts a LOT of adds for RH inc. in their distro
> > too...
> >

> Possible, but I don't use RH...
me neither, but I have installed it a few times to see what it is like.
But the point was we have alway seen some sort of "ad" just now the
circle of possible third parties might extend past the Mandrake store,
which, since the store has not really been exactly a 'focal point for a
profit center' to Mandrake Management, it might as well....
> > > Now, in all fairness, it is the right of Mandrake as a company to do
> > > this, but it is also the right of their users to switch distro if they
> > > don't like this.
> > sure, no one is begging you to stay a "loyal MDK freeloader", just
> > debating if your reasoning is sincere.
> >

> As I stated (and others did so too), I protest ads in the *boxed*
> version.  The download edition is something else.
> I'm only on my second MDK release so far.  But I dropped SuSE after
> buying *every* major release for 5 years because they became too
> commercial for my taste.
I don't think that is a quote from me, but heck no one should beg me to
stay either, if I find love for Gentoo, knowwhatImean?

> > > Now, in a perfect world, Linux (and others) would be developped by
> > > non-commercial institutions with government funding.
> > I DO NOT want any governmental involvement, and the smaller the better.
> >
> > >  It would be
> > > completely free of commercial influences.
> >
> > I doubt _anything_ in the US government is free of "commercial
> > influences", and that goes for all 50 state governments and all county
> > governments too...
> >

> Possibly, but Mandrake is not in the US, an neither am I.

Mandrake is in the US, even if the company has no employees here at all.

> I am not saying the time and circumstances are right for this now, but
> in a perfect world, free software should be safeguarded against
> commercial interference.
> It should be government funded, yet not government controlled (I don't
> trust politicians any more than I trust corporate drones).
>
> > my suggestion to you would be to stick with free BSD, and any of the
> > stuff you use with any company backing them, delete it right away.
> >
> I did not state that company backing in this day and age turns me of a
> system.
that was not directed at you, but if the shoe fits....
>   Although I do not like it, it is the way the world works right
> now and I can't change that.
> I am not going of Mandrake immediately (if ever), I will wait and see
> how things progress.  If it stays with the ads in the announced form it
> is still acceptable (yet I regret it came to this).
I too regret that the sales in stores alone could not support what I
firmly believe to be the best solution to folks first attempting to use
a computer, or those who intuitively feel there must be a better way
than what M$ sticks the rest of the planet with.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org