On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 20:39, Vincent Chen wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> My old VIA mainboard was gone weeks ago and I bought a
> nforce2 board to replace it. I got a lot of situation
> with this new board:
>
> 1. usb mouse won't work during mandrake 9.0
> installation event I set it to USB 1.0/1.1 only,but it
> works ok after new system start up. Is this a hardware
> or mandrake problem?

problem... not sure, but it sounds like the boot kernel (which is a lot
less caple than the runtime kernel) didn't have the needed kernel
modules.

> 2. while review dmesg output,my IDE drive hda doesn't
> indicate as UDMA100. It does show as UDMA100 in the
> old board. Should I run hdparm to get better
> performance?

I would.  There may be a need to change something in BIOS as well.
It may not have DMA enabled (since windows defaults to PIO).

> 3. It quit offen that I got heavy disk I/O while using
> mozilla to surf the net. At this time, I can barely
> move mouse or do anything else. How can this happen?
> This is my first terrible experience under linux. Is
> it possible to tune the system for better performance.

Java,  Disable the javavm and see if it improves things.
The Java release from Sun available at the time of 9.0 would
runaway on some websites.  If disabling java works consider
getting a newer version from Sun.  I did a ps ax once and noticed
that I had over 100 instances running.

> 4. Each day I use ntpdate to sync system time with a
> time server, I got offset > 100s. The value for old
> system always less than 5s. Is it possible caused by
> point 3?

Possible yes.

> I have to say that this board works much better under
> windows than linux. Do you have recommendation for AMD
> boards which has best performance under linux? VIA?
> SIS?

I personally don't like SIS if that's worth anything.  One
recommendation I've seen that is worthwhile, is checking out what Tom's
Hardware site has to say.  They shoot straight.

--
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.