James Sparenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 20:39, Vincent Chen wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> My old VIA mainboard was gone weeks ago and I bought a
>> nforce2 board to replace it. I got a lot of situation
>> with this new board:
>>
>> 1. usb mouse won't work during mandrake 9.0
>> installation event I set it to USB 1.0/1.1 only,but it
>> works ok after new system start up. Is this a hardware
>> or mandrake problem?
>
> problem... not sure, but it sounds like the boot kernel (which is a lot
> less caple than the runtime kernel) didn't have the needed kernel
> modules.

if IRC this was an installer issue ...

>> 2. while review dmesg output,my IDE drive hda doesn't
>> indicate as UDMA100. It does show as UDMA100 in the
>> old board. Should I run hdparm to get better
>> performance?
>
> I would.  There may be a need to change something in BIOS as well.
> It may not have DMA enabled (since windows defaults to PIO).

hdparm -X udma5 /dev/hda,
or even better go to http://www.iki.fi/tmb/9.1/
and install one of Danny's 0.22mdk kernels I have linked to,
and watch your system go...   :-)

>> 3. It quit offen that I got heavy disk I/O while using
>> mozilla to surf the net. At this time, I can barely
>> move mouse or do anything else. How can this happen?
>> This is my first terrible experience under linux. Is
>> it possible to tune the system for better performance.
>
> Java,  Disable the javavm and see if it improves things.
> The Java release from Sun available at the time of 9.0 would
> runaway on some websites.  If disabling java works consider
> getting a newer version from Sun.  I did a ps ax once and noticed
> that I had over 100 instances running.

I would say this is the behaviour due to point 2 ...
iff your system isn't running udma it will crawl during
hevy I/O...

>> 4. Each day I use ntpdate to sync system time with a
>> time server, I got offset > 100s. The value for old
>> system always less than 5s. Is it possible caused by
>> point 3?
>
> Possible yes.
>>

>> I have to say that this board works much better under
>> windows than linux. Do you have recommendation for AMD
>> boards which has best performance under linux? VIA?
>> SIS?

I would stick with the nforce2 board...
once the kernel supports it, it flies...
I'm quite happy with my nforce2 board...

> I personally don't like SIS if that's worth anything.  One
> recommendation I've seen that is worthwhile, is checking out what Tom's
> Hardware site has to say.  They shoot straight.

The newer sis chipsets are not so well supported in old kernels...,
even current kernels have some problems...

Thomas