Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reminder... However I should have been
more clear in what I was trying to say.  We can all
agree that Mandrake is known as the "newbie's Linux"
while of course still remaining a powerful operating
system.  I was suggesting that Mandrake include some
type of update app automatically ready to be
configured in the window manager (etc).  Therefor,
when the newb logs in, they are asked to configure the
update app just like in XP.  While the updates may not
be as severe and critical as they may be in the
Windows world, they are still important.  I guess I
should have anticipated your reply since I AM posting
on the expert list ;)

Tango

I proposed that idea on the cooker ML after release of 9.1. The idea was to perform an automatic urpmi.update command on a medium if the install of a package failed with error message "you may have to update your medium". Apparently it has not been implemented yet, but this could be a good idea to mdernise rpmdrake with such options :
- an automatic update of media at specific times
- an automatic update in case of install failure
I think media sources needs to be modernised indeed.

Eric