Vincent Danen wrote:

On Wed Sep 17, 2003 at 12:43:05PM -0700, Jack Coates wrote:

Mandrake is typically pretty slow about updates compared to RH and Gentoo, but hopefully that'll change if/when they hire Vincent some minions :-)

I think all things considered, we aren't that slow.  If you're defining slow
by a few hours, shame on you, if you're defining it by a few days, shame on
me.

I think we're fairly close to the other big players when it comes to the big
updates.

And, also, keep in mind that RH and SuSE both employ about a half dozen
security folks and, IIRC, gentoo doesn't have to worry about compiling for a
number of different versions.  Contrary to popular opinion, it *does* take
time to properly compile and test packages on each supported platform.

We also don't run our own server for updates so we have to wait for
mirroring... RH can put the packages up and announce it that minute, we have
to wait at least 1-2hrs before announcing or I get flooded with "you
announced it so where is it?" messages, just due to the mirroring process.

With all that in mind, I think this one-man operation is pretty damn speedy.

absolutely, but... let's step into the managerial mind for a little while:

fact: Vincent is working really hard, doing a job that takes six people at other companies. He's typically a few hours behind those other companies, but the users don't complain much. Vincent says he needs help when we get some money.

path 1: Ignore the situation until Vincent flames out, then hire some starry-eyed outsider who thinks he can fix everything.

path 2: When the money starts coming in again, hire some college kids to help out. Rinse and repeat until a couple of them stick on.

User complaints help steer things to path 2.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle.Org: Integrating Value, Simians, and Pasta Since 1996.