On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 03:19, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:53:35 +0200 Wolfgang Bornath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Bill Mullen schrieb am Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:40:20 -0400 (EDT):

> > > Since you're using a router and trying to get an IP address from it
> > > (as opposed to a direct connection to the modem, where the address
> > > would come instead from your ISP), the simplest solution is to not use
> > > DHCP at all, and configure yourself a static address. Doesn't answer
> > > the "why", but fixes the "what" once and for all ... :)
> >
> > Hmm, sounds reasonable and I used to work with static IPs until I bought
> > this access point/router/switch. I couldn't get it to work with static
> > IPs, only with dhcp. I may start another try when 9.2 final comes out
> > and I switch my machines to the final.
> >
> > wobo
>
> Dunno if I've been having this problem; but my LAN connection would just
> stop receiving (as seen via other hosts) -- nothing would restore it other
> than reboot.  Then, one day I discovered that disconnecting LAN cable and
> reconnecting it restored communication...

I can reproduce the problem, and the cure, for me, is to first 'service
network stop', then disconnect the cable/dsl modem. and the router. plug
the cable modem back in until it has a good connection (this is seen in
the order of the lights flashing) then turn back on the router, then
'service network start'.