On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 20:29, Vincent Danen wrote:
> On Thu Sep 25, 2003 at 11:13:23PM -0400, Albert Whale wrote:
>
> My response will be short simply due to the fact that you posted in html and
> I can't quote it and can't be bothered to cut-n-paste.
>
> Every Mandrake advisory includes the CVE names for the correlating problem.
> Trying using the CVE search mechanism on MandrakeSecure.  That should be
> adequate.  Nessus tells you CVE-bla-bla, you go to MandrakeSecure and do the
> CVE search for CVE-bla-bla, and immediately you find what advisories, if any
> deal with that CVE name.
>
> And contrary to your shouting, I have nothing against Nessus... I like it.
> But I'm not gonna turn around name packages
> "openssh-3.6.1p2-CVE-2003-xxxx-1.1mdk" just so you can avoid using a very
> simple search field on the website.
>
> (BTW, this was implemented a *long* time ago)

Haven't messed with Nessus recently, does it have or can it use a
database backend for vulnerability information? I was thinking of how to
automatically extract the CVE reference and Mandrake RPM version from
your announcements (just the kind of insecure hack to a security system
that warms the cockles of the corporate heart).
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...