> Hello, I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how to delete a
> file.
>
> Apparently the directory /usr/local/netscape/chrome/ got hosed and it
> shows up
> as a 2.2gb file and not a directory any longer.
>
> EXT3 file system, file system check shows no problem.
>
> The file shows OWNER:  35327
> and I can not create a user that starts with  a number to delete it that
> way.
>
> GROUP:  3277717500 (kde)
>              -10172497 (midnight commander) this may just be how shell and kde
>                                 display the number (signed number??)
>
> I added both of these groups and added root to both groups and I still
> cant do
> anything with the file.

Not sure if this has been suggested but you can try finding and deleting
by inode:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ls -i
32903   mozilla.ps                  32770 week1_day1
1802247 mp3                         32911 week1_day1.sxw
  32917 openssh-3.4p1-7.i386.rpm    32904 week1_day2

[EMAIL PROTECTED] find . -inum 32903
./mozilla.ps
[EMAIL PROTECTED] find . -inum 32903 -exec rm -f {} \;

You might also want to try this as root.

If this fails, you can also try unlinking the file.