On September 29, 2003 11:41 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Monday 29 Sep 2003 3:38 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 08:20, James Sparenberg wrote:
<sniplet>

> > > Haven't had it do to reiser but I've sure had it happen do to Mozzila.
> > > I have to do an rm -Rf .mozilla about once every 2 months and then move
> > > my backup of bookmarks and cookie (do not set) files back over.  2
> > > times now it's created a file I couldn't remove.  Except by a 3rd party
> > > (rescue disk) boot and removal.
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > mine was a mozilla cache file too, now that I think about it. So the
> > problem that I experienced in that case probably wasn't reiserfs, but
> > reiserfsck.
> >
> > That said, once you've had to rebuild and restore an 8x72GB RAID5
> > production array during business hours because the filesystem caused a
> > kernel panic under load, you tend to cast a hairy eyeball toward that
> > file system...
> > http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3455/2003/7/0/10528457/
>
> Thanks people. I've just done a complete reinstall and moved over to 99%
> reiserFS. ;-(

I'm totally on reiserFS and have never experienced this problem except with
Mozilla.  Mozilla has also caused the same kinda problem with ext2 and ext3.
My best guess is that it's a messed up file that Mozilla was trying to write
as it ran wild and I had to kill it cause that's when this mess appears.  It
also happens with Galleon, btw.

I've also had to go the route James has which is why my day to day browser is
Konq now.

ttfn

John