Anne Wilson wrote:
Going back through some of my old posts, I came upon the thread where I tried to find out why kmail's pop filter didn't work on them. Bryan suggested that maybe the originator was not the .ru name that we saw. Looking again at the headers the originator appears to be anydomain [10.2.131.4]). Passing this to whois brings up

NetRange:   10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
CIDR:       10.0.0.0/8
NetName:    RESERVED-10
NetHandle:  NET-10-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:    IANA Special Use
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG
Comment:    This block is reserved for special purposes.
Comment:    Please see RFC 1918 for additional information.
Comment:
RegDate:
Updated:    2002-09-12

Is this just that it is reserved for the cellphone range, or does it mean something more?

Anne

Hi Anne,

The Ip address: 10.2.131.4, is an intranet address. much like 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.255 <--- LAN address. Its not an address block that is used on the internet. That is what the whois server is telling you.

Here's the info I got back from whois.ripe.net:
inetnum:      10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
netname:      IANA-ABLK-RESERVED1
descr:        Class A address space for private internets
descr:        See http://www.ripe.net/db/rfc1918.html for details
country:      NL
admin-c:      RFC1918-RIPE
tech-c:       RFC1918-RIPE
status:       ALLOCATED UNSPECIFIED
remarks:      Country is really worldwide
remarks:      This network should never be routed outside an enterprise
remarks:      See RFC1918 for further information
mnt-by:       RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower:    RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
changed:      [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20020129
source:       RIPE
role:         RFC1918 Role
address:      Singel 258
address:      1016 AB  Amsterdam
address:      The Netherlands
e-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
trouble:      See http://www.ripe.net/db/rfc1918.html
admin-c:      RFC1918-RIPE
tech-c:       RFC1918-RIPE
nic-hdl:      RFC1918-RIPE
mnt-by:       RFC1918-MNT
changed:      [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20020121
changed:      [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20021218
source:       RIPE

So, this means that its the originating address in so far as it's the LAN Ip address of the machine the message came from. It would appear that they're not natting their Ip's as they leave the LAN bound for the internet. The more common one seen when this is the case is
(localhost: [127.0.0.1]).

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996