On Tuesday 30 September 2003 01:07 pm, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:59:24 +0100
>
> Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > Yes, of course, I forgot that.  So why, I wonder does this show as
> > what seems to be the first hop?

> >  by rtc_srv_nt.kaluga.mts (NAVGW 2.5.1.13) with SMTP id
> > M2003093018540303984
>
> like BP was saying, that's just the internal server, maybe a proxy
> server?

If I had to make a guess, I would say it is an internal messaging or mail
server, like Lotus Notes that is forwarding smtp messages out through a
public gateway machine.  With sms, they probably have a large number of
accounts and segregate them internally by using multiple machines but routing
public messages out through a central gateway.

Therefore, if you sent an sms from one cellphone to another for the local
provider, it would never go public but would be routed internally.  Only
messages destined for public email go through the gateway.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer