Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
Hi,

The following problem is only present in Mandrake so it is not totally
OT. It doesn't occur in a Debian installation I have on the same
machine.

Hardware: 512M memory, P4 2.4GHz.
Mandrake Linux 9.2RC2 (same problem occured in 9.1)
vim-enhanced 6.2-11mdk
GNOME 2.4 (same problem occured in GNOME 2.2)

Holding a character or cursor key down to print a line of characters or
to move through lines or holding down the backspace or delete key to
erase a row of characters results in jumpy performance.

After a short while (10 to 12 characters) the curser stops, the light of
my hd blinks once and then the cursor jumps forward (or backward)
because it reads in the keybuffer. This is annoying because it sometimes
deletes more than I want or prints more than I want.

This shows only in the configuration listed above and only in vim. I
tested emacs and gedit and some other editors, also internal editors of
mail apps and OpenOffice. Normal behaviour everywhere except in vim.

I looked at the .vimrc but there's nothing there which may result in
such a problem.

wobo

wobo,

I'm not sure this is a problem specific with VIM. I say that because I haven't noticed this behavior in Vim, but have seen Bluefish exibiting this very behavior. I too am running Mdk9.2RC2. I saw the same behavior in the same program in RC1 as well.

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996