Somebody scribbled about [expert] Vim
>Holding a character or cursor key down to print a line of characters or
>to move through lines or holding down the backspace or delete key to
>erase a row of characters results in jumpy performance.

And a hurt keyboard :)

Use repeat commands

72i-<ESc> will insert a row of - characters, for instance.

If you prefix a number before a command, vi<m> will repeat that command
the specified number of times. For instance, 10j will move the cursor down
10 lines.

To delete the line you are on, use 'd$' (delete to end of line) rather
than hitting the delete or backspace keys a number of times.

Still, I wonder if it is a gnome thing. I couldn't repeat that behavior
here and I use 9.2 and the same vim you use, but I use kde.