Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Sunday 05 October 2003 12:26 am, Rob Blomquist wrote:

OK, I made it through ripping my first tape, and I was really impressed
with how it sounds, but I was really unimpressed with how it split the
tracks. On Lou Reed 'New York' out of 14 tracks, it only found 4 and I used
Audacity to split the others.

Has any one fiddled around with splitting tracks, and correcting the
default setup to do a better job? I will dive into it myself if no one has,
but I would hate to figure it out myself, only to find someone beat me to
it.

Rob

Hmm, don't know about that. I used gramofile to record 3 full cassettes:

Warlock
Warrior
Da'nang

and it found and split the songs on all 3. I'm sure you did, but I'll ask anyways - did you follow the correct sequence/steps?

I have had the same prob before, some tapes have a bad sig/noise ratio or use shorter gaps between songs (or as in the old Chicago soundtrack I did recently, some songs had no gaps at all).

My answer was to split the tracks manually, and I feathered the sound at the end of each track down to 0 to make it sound better.. it worked great. but no software can find the endpoint of all songs if the original has non standard gaps or the sig level is such that the app can't tell where the song stops, you don't have much choice but to do it manually.

rgds

Franki