Somebody scribbled about Re: [expert] Gramofile and Splitting Tracks

>I have had the same prob before, some tapes have a bad sig/noise ratio
>or use shorter gaps between songs (or as in the old Chicago soundtrack I
>did recently, some songs had no gaps at all).

Hmm. I haven't tried this with cassettes but if i remember, some tapes had
a signal embedded in them - and i had a tape player years ago that had
some kind of music skip feature in that it would seek to the next track.
I hardly listen to anything other than cd's nowadays, though. But it
brings up a thread on svlug i saw recently where people were discussing
related things. Anyway, sox may be of use if you have the cassette .wav
file -- there's apparently a 'silence' option that uses a threshold value
and silences anything below that value. you might then have better luck
in splitting the tracks.

Anyway, it was years since i had a box that would do that music search
thing, and it seemed to work well only on commercially-produced tapes.

>My answer was to split the tracks manually, and I feathered the sound at
>the end of each track down to 0 to make it sound better.. it worked

IMHO it's better to do it in audacity since you can visualize the parts
that are the gaps between the songs. I was planning on splitting up one
big mp3 of a full album i had, but then later saw that soneone had posted
the same album on usenet, with the songs split :).