On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 20:11, Tim Sawchuck wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:30:13 -0700
> James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Ok,
> >
> >     I'm just about to complete my second update from 9.1+plf+texstar to
> > 9.2 via urpmi.  The order of march is
>
> Just?!?!  :-)   I did this a few weeks, maybe a month ago after a
> posting on Distrowatch about this technique.  I had not found this list at
> the time.
>
> > urpmi.removmedia -a (get rid of all current dbases)
> >
> > urpmi.addmedia (added cooker cooker-contrib and plf-cooker)
> >
> > urpmi urpmi (get the new urpmi first it's ability to download install
> > and then download more is a big boon. But be prepared for a huge list of
> > changes to accompany it as well.)
>
> I really recommend doing a uprmi.update -a at this point since the new urpmi
> and databases work a little differently.

forgot that one.  Tried it both ways and it made no difference but it's
not a bad idea.

> > urpmi --auto-auto select --force
> >
> > why the force ... because signatures in the cooker are all over the
> > place, and plf cooker isn't signed with the same sig as the rest of plf
> > etc etc and I got real tired of saying y every 3 or 4 rpms.
>
> You can use the --no-verify-rpm switch as well.  I've found that using the
> --allow-force switch works better for me, since the dependencies can get
> funny with textar and plf rpms that might have a newer numbering than the
> 9.2 versions installing.
>
> > urpmi kernel.
> >
> >    Basic rundown did it work.  Yes.  Was it quick ... no expect to let
> > the box run almost as long as it takes to download a single ISO.  Would
> > I recommend it to anyone but someone who knows MDK... NO I repeat NO.
> > Some rpms won't install because of conflicts with plf or texstar (I
> > forced those like kdebase and kdebase-common.)  You also need to know
> > that things like konsole are seperate and don't get installed here. So
> > it's not perfect but dang close.
>
> A couple other tricks, use telinit 3 to run from a console.  When it is all
> done, before you reboot, try "rpm -Va | grep miss" to see if any libraries
> are missing.  I actually had 3 consoles open doing this, with "radio"
> keeping me entertained.
>

> >    Can it be done over the net YES.  I've done it twice that way.  Once
> > here at home (local simulation) and once to a box in a remote office for
> > someone.  Both times it worked and worked right. Both boxes worked
> > afterward and so far no real problems.  All configs etc are retained and
> > as such there was little if anything to do after.  I honestly don't like
> > the MDK kde as well as the texstar version (I lose the ability to do
> > full modifications of the panel as well as no randar support.) But it
> > does seem to start faster.  More to come.
>
> I keep jumping between BlackBox and IceWM.  Even on a P4 1.3GHz, 512Mb RAM,
> I love the quickness of a simple WM.

True but a lot here do use kde.  one question why switch once you are in
a window manager who ever sees the desktop *grin*

I did do the grep miss .... what I found out was that I'd never logged
in graphically or directly as root.  No errors there on either box of
any real consequence

James