Take a look at:

Name
xvidtune - video mode tuner for XFree86
Synopsis
xvidtune [ -prev | -next | -unlock | ] ] [ -toolkitoption ... ]
Description
Xvidtune is a client interface to the XFree86 X server video mode extension
(XFree86-VidModeExtension).
When given one of the non-toolkit options, xvidtune provides a command line
interface to either switch the video mode.

Without any options (or with only toolkit options) it presents the user with
various buttons and sliders that can be used to interactively adjust
existing video modes. It will also print the settings in a format suitable
for inclusion in an XF86Config file.

Normally the XFree86 X servers only allow changes to be made with the
XFree86-VidModeExtension from clients connected via a local connection type.

Note: The original mode settings can be restored by pressing the `R' key,
and this can be used to restore a stable screen in situations where the
screen becomes unreadable.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC