On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:42:37 -0700
Rolf Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Turgut Kalfaoglu wrote:
> > A general comment: Why doesn't Mandrake, when it's building a new
> > version, does not use the default installation directories of each
> > package? Because otherwise, when we reinstall it, we have a chance
> > of ending up with two versions of the same files!  -turgut
> >
> > -----
> > Turgut Kalfaoglu:  http://www.kalfaoglu.com
> > EgeNet Internet Services: http://www.egenet.com.tr
> >

> Mandrake strives to conform to the Linux Standards Base and has been
> LSB certified:
> http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/community/mandrakesoftnews/news?n=/mandrakesoft/products/2381
>

> The LSB specifies the Filesystem Hiearchy Standard as the authority
> for where files go:
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/execenvfhs.html
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/index.html#TOC
>
> The standards allow for some options and are somewhat open to
> interpretation.  Different software authors might have different
> interpretations, implement options differently, or lack compliance
> with these standards.
>
> Rolf

In other words, it's up to the package authors to come up to speed with
the Linux Standard Base. Mandrake does a good job of squeezing any RPM's
files into the right directories and where necessary makes links
(/etc/rc3.d/ -> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/).

Any 3rd party package that does comply with LSB installs well in
Mandrake (refer OO.o thread).

--
Michael