On Sunday 19 Oct 2003 11:39 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Sunday 19 Oct 2003 10:24 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > 1)  I have kopete installed, and I did not remember to do
> > anything about msn before I went away.  Everything was fine when
> > I left, but now it tries to connect to msn on opening, fails, and
> > segfaults.  Is there any way that I can get in to the
> > configuration file to stop instant connections?  I have looked
> > for it, but can't see the file.
> >
> > 2)  What exactly is the purpose of Jabber?  I installed it so
> > that I could run kopete, but have two issues with it -
> >
> > a)  I get failed messages on shutdown that relate to jabber, and
> > they go by so fast that I can't read them.  I know where to find
> > messages that come up during bootup, but I'm not so sure about
> > shutdown messages.
> >
> > b)  From top it seems that it takes up a relatively big slice of
> > cpu and mem, even when kopete is not loaded:
> >  1759 daemon    10   0 10080 9.8m  848 S  0.7  1.9   4:31.08
> > jabberd so what is it doing?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne
> jabberd is the jabber server.  You only need it if you want to
> provide IM services for people.

It doesn't sound as though I need it, then.

> More likely you will connect to a public jabber server. There is a
> list at www.jabber.org

Yes, that's what I did.

> One reason you might want to run your own jabbber server is because
> since Oct 15th MSN changed their protocol to lock out 3rd party IM
> clients. However a workaround has been devised for the MSN
> transport for jabber servers, but not all servers are running the
> updated version yet. (The public server I use has not yet)

I chose to use kopete because my two grandchildren use msn along with
their friends.  I assumed that the msn change was what was causing
the problem now.  IM is not a service I have used much, and I know
very little about it.  Do you know some recommended reading?  Do I
google for kopete to see what I can learn about the current
situation?

After a couple of weeks off, I feel very out-of-touch and struggling
to pick up all the pieces.  It's amazing how many things in your life
come critical just at the time that you are not around to deal with
them <g>.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302