I have just received the latest version of the fake M$ mails:

Last Network Security Update
Date: Sun Oct 19 17:55:27 2003
From: "Microsoft Internet Security Center"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Microsoft Consumer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Microsoft Consumer

this is the latest version of security update, the
"October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
Install now to help protect your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an attacker to run code on your system.
This update includes the functionality of all previously released
patches.

While I was away several people told me that they were just doing
something quite normal, 'and then I got the virus.  And I had done
what Microsoft said in their message'.  I know it's ridiculous
expecting virus writers to play fair, but this particular scam is the
one most likely to trap otherwise wary people.  Aarrgghhh!  I'm not
usually a violent person, but I'd like to hang, draw and quarter the
person that thought this one up.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302