On Sunday 19 Oct 2003 9:05 pm, Dick Gevers wrote:

> Tell your daughter to use Pegasus Mail. Once upon a time when I was using
> Windows I found it the best mailer for that O/S. I never ran antivirus
> software continuously and never got infected, though I received viruses as
> attachments regularly. With Pegasus Mail it is almosy impossible to get
> infected. And it is free (as in payment not being a necessity for use).

My sister currently has 1479 messages on her ISP's POP3 server waiting to be
downloaded, probably 99.9% Swen, so 100K each on a 40K dialup line. She's
ditched the ISP and gone to Compu$erve (argh!). Currently she still doesn't
have email setup, nor an email client apart from Lookout, an antivirus
package or a firewall.

Can anybody suggest (probably offlist is best, my mailbox can stand the
traffic,) free packages for all the above? I would be grateful. My current
thoughts are Pegasus, Mozilla, Spybot S&D. But I haven't used Pegasus since
1995, is it the best? Don't know whether to go Mcafee or AVG (or some other.)
Howabout firewalls?

Sorry this is OT, but it is a rant thread, and solving this makes the world a
little better for all of us.

In the longer term she could probably handle Linux, but the lack of an MS
Publisher clone is holding her back. Any answers for that?

Thanks for any advice,
--
Richard Urwin