Bryan Phinney grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> The fetchmail log should be telling you what the error code is from Postfix
> but if I had to guess, I would say it is a 501, fetchmail normally counts 55?
> codes as spam rejects by default.

Not on *my* system, it didn't. :-)  I had to put it in to cause fetchmail
to behave itself when running into those.

> Line should show:
>
> poll mail.whatever.com with proto whatever
>       user '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' there with password 'password' is 'localuser' here
>       antispam 554,550,501

Just a note for anyone reading:  The "user" part above is for how you
normally login to your POP or IMAP server to retrieve your mail.  If you're
using an ISP that has a login method of using your E-Mail address with
them, then [EMAIL PROTECTED] is correct.  If you're using a server that just
requires a username, *don't* add the @domain.com part (I.E. don't use your
address to login unless your provider requres that as your login).

> Add that line and you should no longer see those errors or have misconfigured
> spam piling up in your inbox.  Only other way that I know of is to run
> Fetchmail configured to flush the box which removes all messages that were
> seen but no delivered.  This is dangerous and could result in your losing
> messages due to Postfix being down when fetchmail tries to pick up mail.
> Another option is to periodically run fetchmail to pick up mail, then reload
> fetchmail in flush mode to flush misconfigured messages, then rerun fetchmail
> in normal mode.  You could do this once a week but in the meantime would get
> all those errors in your syslog.  Last option is to simply bitbucket all
> fetchmail-daemon notifications with procmail.

That last option is kinda dangerous, though. :-)  If you got other
fetchmail errors, you would never know about them....  (Not saying don't do
it if it's really needed, just be aware... :)

                 --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server