On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:14, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2003 09:41 pm, Cy Kurtz wrote:
>
> > > C'mon, I'll give you ten to one on the Windows box... ;-)
> >
> > no no no wait a minute!
> >
> > What happens when Linux becomes as popular as windows? Most people
> > writing virii are aiming at windows boxen, because they are more
> > numerous. People writing virii want to do as much damage as possible, so
> > they are going to go after the most popular OS.
>
> Every time I see this comparison, I wince.  Explain to me how you can compare
> a single OS built by a monolithic entity that controls all of the source code
> and releases only the information that puts them in the best possible light
> with an OS built by literally dozens of different teams, each to their own
> specifications that basically share a common kernel but have different
> directory structures, package managers, peripheral drivers, etc.
>
> As much as I think that Linux will become a bigger target eventually, I do NOT
> think that anyone can generalize and say that one virus that exploits a
> vulnerability on one distribution of Linux will automatically propagate to
> every distribution.  Ever tried to get a package that was built to be
> portable to actually port over to a different distribution?  And they are
> trying to make it portable and can include code specifically designed to do
> so.  Viruses have to be small and compact.
>
> Linux is not the same as Windows and comparisons of this nature only serve to
> make people forget WHY MS products have a tendency to be compromised more
> often and it has a lot to do with the unified environment, the same thing
> that MS is quick to take credit for when it works in their favor, and anxious
> to make people forget when you point out that it also works against them.
>
> I would not go so far as to say that Linux can not be compromised but given
> the age of the system, the fact that a lot more businesses run Linux which
> makes it a more attractive target for ego purposes, and the fact that with
> open source, MS could have been publishing exploits on Linux, if they were
> there, instead of funding dubious analyst research on ROI that nobody pays
> attention to, I feel pretty confident that Linux is much more secure than
> average Windows.
>
> The fact is that it is MUCH easier to write viruses for Linux, (something that
> these "journalists" often overlook) because of the fact that the source code
> is published so that virus writers can go through line by line and look for
> vulnerabilities.  With Windows, they have to decompile and reverse engineer
> to find weak points that may end up being dead ends.  Given the different
> nature of open source, we should be seeing many more viruses written for
> Linux than for Windows, if only because it is so much easier to do it.
>
> As for social engineering, based on my own experience, I would trust a Linux
> user to do the smart thing well before trusting the average Windows user, but
> hey, that might be just me.

I would as well, today, however as more and more of the windows world
enters the world of Unix + the desire to make it as painless as possible
may well increase the chances of something being haywire.  There is
little to stop someone from using betty or 123456 as a pasword.
Warnings yes.  But nothing tells them why it should be otherwise.  One
of the biggest security holes I've seen of late is the ability to setup
auto login.  Sine 9 out of 10 hacks are inside jobs.... gee.

James