On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 02:12, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:14, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:02, Richard Bown wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > this is minor but damn annoying
> > >
> > > After trying to print a jpeg from  gimp-1.2.5-6mdk to an Epson C82
> > > printer using CUPS, instead of a nice piccy of a swiss steam engine I
> > > got
> > > 1 line of about 20 characters mix of german, greek , math symbols.
> > >
> > > on page after page after page.
> > > Flushed the printer queue....no change
> > > removed printer for config.....no change
> > > disconnected the printer......no change
> > > power cycled the printer.... eventually stops
> > > reconnected the printer to PC..... it starts again  !!!!!!!
> > > reboot the PC  ....its still going
> > > power down the pc  ....it stopped
> > >

> > > reconfigure the printer in CUPs
> > > and print a test page.....working
> > > Thats the first time I've ever seen that..
> > > OK it may be a coincidence that 9.2 is involved as the other factor is
> > > the new kernel 2.4.22
> > >
> > > has anyone seen similar  ???
> > >
> > > Richard
> >
> > One question.  How many different "drivers" did drakprint have for your
> > printer.  One option could be to try one of the other ones.  If this
> > doesn't work..... bugs.mandrakesoft.com is your friend. *grin*
> >
> > James
> >

> Just checked there are now only 2 drivers for the Epson C82
> the one I was using CUPS +GIMP
> and ghostscript + gimp, Ive now changed to the latter, and wait see if
> it happens again.
> This does look like a wayward process, as once the printer is removed
> from the config it should stop , but this does'nt, it just keeps spew
> ing out of the parport... maybe worth trying the printer on the USB
> port.
> I does mean I have to watch whats being printed, cant just send it
> remotely and trust..
>
> else you end up with as much paper as you loaded all with a quarter line
> of garbage on the top of each sheet.
> Whats really strange is that rebooting dos'nt stop it onlt power down..
>
> Richard

Your being caught by the print buffer on the printer.  The job could
well be gone from the computer and totally in the print buffer on the
printer itself.  In such a case nothing you do on the comp will affect
the printer (unless you have a locally mounted printer and the software
from the manf needed to clear this buffer.)

James