On Tuesday 21 Oct 2003 10:20 pm, rikona wrote:
> Hello Anne,
>
> Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 12:52:52 PM, you wrote:
>
> AW> The problem is that she is part of a mailing group for her job.
> AW> The people are trustworth, in that there is no way that  they
> AW> would intentionally cause problems, and actually problems from
> AW> the home computers of individuals have rarely caused a problem
> (I AW> think there were 2 cases a couple of years ago).  It's their
> work AW> computers that are virus-ridden, and that is just
> sickening.
>
> Look carefully at what is happening. Let's suppose a group of
> workers regularly communicate with the same, or different, people
> at work. The address books of these people at home will contain
> many address for people at work. A 'home' user gets a virus and it
> is sent out to others, but it 'spoofs' the work addresses in the
> book. On quick examination it would look as though these were sent
> from 'work' because of the spoofing, but the virus is on a home
> computer. In the M$ world, the address book is NOT your friend, and
> should be BLANK.
>
> Do we know, from actual virus scans, that the work machines are
> virus-ridden? If true, then someone there is NOT doing a good job.
>
> Also, who uses Panda AV? It might be a clue as to who has it.

I'm afraid this is a straight-forward case.  The hospital that these
came from was definitely infected - lost many of its systems for a
whole week.  The mails in question did come from the person named.
They were on-topic.  The guy who send the last couple did so from
home.  Again they were on-topic and he uses Panda.  She has contacted
him about this.  I suspect that he is one of the many who think that
installing av is enough, and simply don't keep their bases up to
date.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302